UPSHOT-KNOTHOLE - This operation conducted at the Nevada Test Site consisted of 11 atmospheric tests. There were three airdrops, seven tower tests, and one airburst. Conducted between March 17 and June 4, 1953, this operation involved the testing of new theories, using both fission and fusion devices.

The photo shows the complete disintegration of a house by a nuclear blast. What a theory.

from the web site of the Nevada Test Site Nuclear War: What scares me tonight...

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

 

What scares me tonight...

I was too young to build up any real anxiety over the Cold War.

But when I was a junior in college I got good and scared over India and Pakistan's nuclear standoff.

Now there's Iran and Israel.

Of course, Iran doesn't have the bomb (for now, right?)...

Iran's new president, at a conference called "The World without Zionism" he attended today in Tehran, said, "Israel must be wiped off the map."

And then:
"Anybody who recognizes Israel will burn in the fire of the Islamic nation's fury."

Is that metaphorical fire?

The AP Article.

I found this photo on a blog... The sign on the podium is in English?

Comments:
I just spoke with my friend here at KPFA. She left Iran when her political views became a danger to her saftey - and she is one of the producers of "Voices of the Middle East" (wed 7pm)

She didn't see the "wipe israel off the map," comment as such a big deal. She said he was simply playing up to his base (sounds familiar) of fundamentalists. And that the statement was really just more "hot air."

Her big fear is that some misguided lefties here (in berkeley?) would take this as a sign to consider the Iranian regime in a similair light to how many view Venezuela under Chavez. The old enemy of my enemy is my ally deal. A mistake, she would say, considering how bad things are for "progressives" in Iran these days.
 
Apparently, Iran already did wipe Israel off the map. You wont find the Jewish State on any official map of the region.

I'm beginning to feel like I fell for something (what else is new) when I reacted to the first wave of coverage of the statements.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?